Benefits of Pig Farming Equipments
Pigs are more sensitive animals as compared to sheep, goats, and other livestock, and they require better management. But, they have an advantage that they give a better return as their feed-to-meet ratio is higher than other livestock and they also have a high breeding rate.
The quality and development of pigs depend on the feeding and housing systems, and this is why it is important for a pig farmer to exploit the modern pig farming equipment which will help in growing healthy pigs and ultimately an increased return on investment.
Some of the Modern Pig Farming Equipments are:
- Gestation Stalls: A gestation stall is primarily meant for housing pregnant sows. These stalls can be used in breeding, gestation and furrowing phases. They provide enough space for a sow and they make physical examination and insemination process very easy. They also help in protecting the sow from injuries and in controlling their feeding intake.
- Finishing Stalls: These stalls are best for housing heavier pigs, which weigh more than 40 kg.
- Weaning Stalls: These stalls are mean for the newly-born pigs and designed so that they don't cause pollution and feel comfortable for the babies.
- Drinking bowl: Modern pig drinking bowls are hygienic and the curled design prevents dust from entering into the water. They also reduce fecal pollution.
- Nipple Drinker: Nipple drinkers are automatic and they do not allow any leak.
- Dry-wet Feeder: The advantage of a dry-wet feeder is that they save feedings and are designed in a way so they won't damage the snout of the pigs.
- Creep Feeder: It is used to supply feed in furrowing crate for piglets. They are helpful if the mother sow doesn't have sufficient milk. They are easy to clean and can be used for both feeding and watering.
- Exhaust Fans: Exhaust fans when installed in a poultry farm can pump out a large volume of foul air without creating much noise.
- Cooling Pads: It is important to keep the air inside the stalls clean because the climate influences the production capacity of pigs. A cooling pad consists of a fan, rotating discs, motor, and water bowl. The fan pumps out the unhealthy air and rotator disks spray water into the stall.
- Dynamic Air Ventilation: Energy consumption can be reduced to a great extent by using frequency controlled fans. They can be installed in all types of stalls and can be accessed remotely as well.
- Pigsty Mat: Electrical Heating Mats are combined with the feeder, water bowl, and heating pads. They not only take good care of the pigs, but also prevent them from electric shocks.
- Plastic Floor: These floors provide good furrowing and prevent frequent touches between the pigs and the dung. They do not corrode and are easy to clean.
- Fiberglass Beam: These beams work as a support to the breeding fences
- Scrappers: Mechanical manure removal systems remove the feces and urine separately from the pig shed. They save a lot of labor costs.
- Fermenting Machine: Fermenting machines are used for fermentation of sludge, feces, mud etc. and converting them into pig manure.